Friday, August 22, 2008

Giving thanks

So in the midst of these new challenges I am facing in being a new mother, getting to know a new area (where people are constantly smiling at my accent and asking if I'm from Wisconsin!), and starting from scratch with putting down roots, I have been practicing intentional thankfulness. Here are some things at the top of my list:
1. Oliver eats and sleeps so well. I never have to worry about his growth, and I have lots of opportunities to sleep (if I could just learn to actually take the naps when he is sleeping!)
2. Paul has a really nice big office with a window facing the woods. Yesterday when I picked him up, there was a fawn strolling by - PA is a really beautiful state!
3. Our kind neighbor Fran. Today we had a conversation that made me really thankful:
Fran: How is Oliver doing.
Alyssa: Really well - he is such an easy baby.
Fran: And how are you doing?
Alyssa: (smiling) I'm doing well.
Fran: I know your parents left the other day.
Alyssa: (tears welling up) Yea, that was hard...is hard.
Fran: I'm sure it is.
What struck me about this conversation is that she didn't let me off the hook with a generic answer, yet she didn't tell me how I must be feeling in her initial question or in her follow up comment. I need to learn how to do that.
4. A washer and dryer in our apartment. Mom was the laundry fairy while she was here and kept it running steady as we freshened up the linens, and now I am appreciating keeping up with everything that is affected by huge spit-ups and blow outs!!
I'm sure there are more things, but these are at the top of my list today.

3 comments:

l_oyen@hotmail.com said...

Your neighbor Fran, sounds like she is a big blessing already.

Do you live in a big city or on the outskirts of the city?

I love the 'matching boys'.

CityGirl said...

Yes...that was so nice of Fran. Sometimes it's the smallest thing that makes us miss home. I'd give you a hug if I could.

Kristin said...

It took me 4 kids to finally figure out the napping when the baby naps thing. LOL It gets trickier! But when you're desperate, you do what you have to.

I'm glad to hear you are getting settled in your new home. And, isn't it great to be able to stay in touch with the blogs? :)

Love ya!
~k