Thursday, May 28, 2009

First 5K

This weekend I ran my first 5K with other moms in the Mom's Club (I'm in the black shorts, pink shirt and white hat). It was a big accomplishment for all of us since either we hadn't run that far before, or it had been a while since we had! We started the "Couch to 5K" program back in March and ran together twice a week and once on our own. When I got to about the last 3/4 mile (which was all uphill) and was feeling pretty tired I saw a mom in the yard holding her little girl. It reminded me of why I'm doing this - I want Oliver to see me as a healthy and active mom. This week I've felt quite unmotivated and discouraged, so I'm blogging this now as a reminder of what I accomplished and what my goals are. This race I finished in 31 minutes and 16 seconds. I'm planning to run another one in June and hopefully between now and then speed up my time a bit!

6 comments:

Sarah Jean said...

Yea Alyssa! I am not only proud of you for running this race so well but for being such an awesome example to Oliver! Maybe someday you and Paul and Oliver can run a 5K together =) (We actually saw a family do that at our last race!)

Kristin said...

Wow, Alyssa! I'm really impressed! I've never been too motivated to run, but I might be able to walk a 5K. :) Way to go!

~k

[sking]

CityGirl said...

That was inspiring!!! I plan to WALK a few 5ks this summer! My Mother in law is working on the couch to 5k and she LOVES it!! Congrats and keep up the great work!! Now you've re-motivated me!!

The Three 22nds said...

Congratulations! That is why I run too...I want my boys to see me as active, able to accomplish goals etc... and I hope to do some tris with my boys someday!

Brandon&Heather said...

Great work Alyssa! It must have felt wonderful crossing that finish line!!

AlyssaJoy said...

Thanks everyone for your votes of confidence. I definitely like the idea of having Oliver run WITH me someday - realistically he will probably be running AHEAD of me, but in the same race:).